One of my favorite things to make is a good vegan copycat recipe with easy substitutions. This Philly “Cheesteak” Sandwich recipe leaves nothing to desire with its juicy vegetables, smokey plant based cheese and savory sauce. It’s incredibly easy to make and is a great option for those into meal prep because it can be wrapped and reheated in the toaster oven. It’s become a staple in my house for busy weeknights and is always an exciting option to throw in during our weekly meal planning.
This recipe makes approximately 4-5 sandwiches and stores well wrapped in foil for about 2 days.
The ingredients for this recipe are similar to the traditional one, minus the meat & dairy. We typically stock up on things like garlic, olive oil & soy sauce so all that’s added to the grocery list is fresh veggies making this a very budget-friendly meal. You can replace the fresh garlic with powdered if you need to and switch up the vegan cheese if the gouda doesn’t suit you. I’ve also used Follow Your Heart vegan provolone & pepper jack before with much success.
- Deli Rolls– 4-5 rolls (may substitute for French)
- Vegan Cheese- 3-4 pieces of vegan gouda, provolone or pepper jack
- Baby Bella Mushrooms- 1 large package of whole or sliced
- Green Bell Peppers- 2 whole large sliced into thin strips
- White Onion- 1 large sliced into thin strips
- Garlic- 3 cloves minced or 1.5 tbsp powdered
- Soy Sauce- 2-3 tbsp
- Olive Oil- 1 tbsp
- Thyme- 1 tsp dried or fresh
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Ground Pepper- 1 tsp
This recipe comes in at a hearty 359 calories per serving. It serves up 14 g of protein, 7 g of fiber and meets 3/4 of your daily recommended intake of Vitamin C. If you’re trying to watch your sodium or fat intake, you can use tamari instead of soy sauce, omit the salt and saute your vegetables in broth instead of oil.
More Nutrition Facts
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated 4 g
Polyunsaturated 1 g
Monounsaturated 0 g
Trans 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1600 mg
Potassium 116 mg
Total Carbohydrates 55 g
Dietary Fiber 7 g
Sugars 9 g
Protein 14 g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 78%
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs.
If you’re on the app, you can log my recipe here.
It will take about 10-15 minutes to prep everything including washing & chopping your vegetables. From there, you’ll be working mostly on the stovetop for about 30 minutes before adding the final touches in the oven for the last 5 minutes. The total time it takes to make this recipe is typically about 45-50 minutes.
- Wash and slice onion, green bell peppers, baby bella mushrooms and garlic cloves.
- Heat 1/3 of your oil in a large wok or skillet and set to medium/high. Add onions and saute while stirring frequently for 5-7 minutes or until they are slightly transparent & browned. Set aside.
- Add 1/3 of your oil into the skillet along with the bell peppers and saute while stirring frequently for 7-10 minutes or until they start to soften & blister. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and split deli rolls. Cut vegan cheese into small squares and place 3 on the top buns of each roll. Bake for 7 minutes to slightly melt the cheese and toast the buns.
- Add remaining oil into the skillet along with baby bella mushrooms and saute while stirring frequently for 10 minutes or until they are tender.
- Reduce to a low/medium heat. Add cooked bell peppers and onions to the skillet. Add in garlic, soy sauce, thyme, salt & pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until the garlic is seared.
- Add the cooked ingredients onto the bottom buns of each roll. Close and cook for 5 more minutes to finish melting the cheese. Enjoy!
This recipe is filling enough on its own but if you’re feeling ravenous for a little something on the side, a bit of fries or chips would pair well with it. If you’re reheating this, it’s best to do it wrapped in foil in a toaster or conventional oven for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
If you have questions, comments or have tried this recipe, please leave a note in the section below. Also, be sure to share your favorite dishes that you’d like to see vegan. I love a good challenge!
As always, thanks for your love & support.
‘Til next time!
Follow me on Instagram @its_theplantbasedbae for more updates!
Follow The Plant Based Base via Email
Sign up to receive an email each time a new post is uploaded. Never miss another post again!