If you grew up on a classic like lasagna like me and never thought you could imagine making it without using animal products like dairy cheese & egg, you’re in for a big surprise with this recipe. Over the years, through various cooking methods and techniques, I’ve finally mastered my own favorite vegan lasagna recipe that sacrifices no flavor, consistency, or texture. This is a fun dish to make on any night and pairs well with a side salad or homemade vegan garlic bread.
This recipe serves about 4-5 people with at least one of the sides listed above. However, it can easily be made for a 2 with enough leftovers for a day or so.
Probably the most shocking thing about this recipe is that you can find the ingredients at most stores. Because ‘cheeze’ and other alternatives make up the bulk of the expenses for this dish, if you’re looking to save and you look at basic/generic brands long enough, you’ll find something at just about any store. Can’t find one of the items? Let me know in the section below and I’ll try to help you find a store near you that has something similar.
- Silk Unsweetened Almond milk -1/4 cup
- Morningstar Chipotle Style Crumbles – 1/2 bag
- Follow Your Heart Vegan Cheddar Shreds – 1/2 cup
- Organic Tofu – 1/2 block
- Onion – 1 cup minced
- Barilla Lasagne Shells – 1/2 box
- Prego Fresh Mushroom Sauce – 1 jar or (fresh prepared)
- Pompein Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1-2 tbsp.
- Garlic Powder – 1 tbsp.
- Onion Powder – 1 tbsp.
It will take about 15-20 minutes to prep everything including mincing the onion, draining the tofu, & preheating the oven. Cooking time overall will take approximately an hour to an hour and a half. This recipe is great for any skill level, although can be prepared through more advanced methods like making your own sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Drain excess water from tofu packaging (optional: use tofu press while you are cooking onion & crumbles…or for at least 5 minutes) and slice cube in half. Set aside.
- Add 6-8 quarts of water to a large pot and set heat to the highest setting (Leave on the backburner so you can cook other items simultaneously. Continue steps 4-5 until or until water boils.
- Remove excess layers from the onion and mince. Sautee onion in oil for about 5-7 minutes on medium to high heat until thoroughly cooked… (I personally like my onions a little more done, so I’ll wait until they’re brown & crispy! ) Set aside.
- Cook Morningstar crumbles over medium to high heat for around 7-10 minutes or until they are thoroughly cooked to your taste. Set aside.
- To make vegan ‘ricotta’: One you have properly drained & sliced your tofu, add this to a food processor or bowl along with almond milk and mix with 1/2 the dry spices including onion & garlic powder.
- Once water has come to a boil in the large pot, add 1/2 the package of lasagne noodles and continue to boil. Cook for about 12-15 minutes while stirring occasionally. Drain noodles when thoroughly cooked.
- Now time for the fun part!! Display all the cooked crumbles & onions, blended tofu mixture, Follow Your Heart Vegan Cheese, sauce & lasagne noodles like assembly line style for yourself in front of the dishware you will be preparing the meal in.
- Layer the ingredients in the following pattern: sauce, noodles, cheese (your choice of ‘ricotta’ or shredded each time), onions and repeat until the dish fills to the top. Be sure to cover the bottom of your pan with sauce & top it all off with a layer of the Follow Your Heart Vegan Cheese. Spread the remaining dry spices including garlic & onion powder throughout the sequence and don’t be shy to add in a little something extra (i.e. nutritional yeast, basil, oregano, ‘mozzarella’, etc.).
- Bake the ingredients in the oven for about 40-45 minutes or until it has reached your desired consistency. Not sure when it’s done? I usually wait until the ‘cheeze’ looks melted and the noodles start to look crispy at the top.
- Slice into individual squares & serve with your favorite sides. Enjoy!!
My favorite way to serve this dish is with vegan garlic toast and/or a salad on the side. It’s a hearty meal with enough protein & flavor to stand on its own so the sides really aren’t stealing the show!
If you have questions, comments or have tried this recipe, please leave a note in the section below. Also, be sure to share your favorite dishes that you’d like to see vegan. I love a good challenge!
As always, thanks for your love & support.
‘Til next time!
Subscribe for Monthly Newsletter
Sign up to receive monthly updates from The Plant Based Bae & delicious content delivered right to your inbox.
Follow The Plant Based Base via Email
Sign up to receive email updates each time a new post is uploaded. Never miss another post again!