If you’ve been looking for an zesty cold lunch option you can pack for work and make in a matter of minutes, this is the perfect recipe for you. For years, this basic recipe has been a regular dish in my house when I’m trying to incorporate more plant based items on a budget. If you’re new to vegan eating, this easy combo introduces you to the fun & exciting possibilities of chickpeas which deliver a healthy dose of protein and add a great source of fiber to your diet.
This recipe makes about 4 sandwiches or servings. It can go a bit further if you decide to opt out of using it for sandwiches and choose it for wraps, pinwheels, or your next salad protein topper.
The items used in this recipe are ones I keep on deck at all times making it easy to make on a whim. I challenged myself to find the most cost-effective plant-based ingredients to help make this recipe easily accessible for a wider group of readers. For starters, I thought it would be easy to make sandwiches to relate to those who love animal based classics like “Tuna Salad” or even “Shredded Chicken Sandwiches”… It can be made with or without a food processor, although it does take out the arm work for you. Want to upgrade some of these items? Leave me a comment below and I’ll send a few recommendations on alternative brands to try.
- Hamburger Buns – I used Great Value white buns
- Chickpeas – 1 can rinsed & drained (You can also use about 1 cup of dried chickpeas cooked). Tip: If you’re new to eating chickpeas, you can find them near others like kidney beans, black beans & pinto beans.
- Follow Your Heart Vegenaise – 1/4 cup (4-5 spoonfuls)
- Lemon Juice – 2 tbsp. (fresh works even better!!)
- Dijon Mustard – 1 tbsp.
- Dill Relish – 2-3 tbsp.
- Minced Garlic (or garlic powder) – 1-2 tsp
- Salt & Pepper – 1-2 tsp to taste
- Optional: Baked Beans on the side
Since this is a cold meal, it requires little preparation and can be made in as little as 7-10 minutes in just 3 easy steps. My favorite part about this recipe is that it’s essentially a dump n’ mix kind of deal where you simply worry about taste & consistency. I for one am super thankful to have discovered this recipe on Pinterest years ago and modified it to fit my own needs. As long as you have a food processor, you’ll be in good shape to meet that time expectation. If not, you can opt for using a potato masher on the chickpeas & mixing your ingredients with a spatula in a large bowl. It will take a little longer, but will be made with just a lil’ extra love too 🙂
- Start by rinsing & draining your chickpeas. If you are not using a food processor, now would be a good time to mash them (my favorite method to do it manually is a potato masher). Set aside.
- Add chickpeas, Follow Your Heart Vegenaise, Dijon Mustard, Lemon Juice, Dill Relish, Garlic, Salt & Pepper to a food processor (or mixing bowl). Mix until chickpeas seem fully blended & items have been evenly stirred (I turn on my food processor for about 15-30 seconds. The consistency at the end should be thick and chunky (very similar to animal based “Tuna/Chicken Salad” recipes)
- Add 2-3 spoonfulls of onto buns and serve with your favorite sides & veggie toppings.
This mixture pairs well with fresh veggies like lettuce, tomato, cucumber, & even melted cheese on a toasted bun. I usually pair it with something like vegan friendly baked beans on a cold day or chips for packing work lunches. As mentioned above, this recipe is great for wraps, pinwheels, topping salads, and even as an appetizer over crackers & micro veggies.
If you have questions, comments or have tried this recipe, please leave a note in the section below. Also, be sure to share your favorite cold lunches that you’d like to see vegan. I love a good challenge!
As always, thanks for your love & support.
‘Til next time!
Sign up to get delicious content delivered right to your inbox.